Got a loud creak or screech at full lock? Check this first.
- New Stopper Caps: (2) PN 45619-14020
This is possibly the cheapest and easiest fix on the A70 Supra as well as other models. Of the 6 cars Iíve owned half have needed new steering stopper caps. If yours is bad or missing you may hear a horrible, loud creak and crack as you turn the wheel all the way in either direction. This normally happens in parking lots and will most likely happen when youíre trying to convince someone how nice your car is, even if itís old. It can sound like something just snapped in your suspension. Luckily the fix is crazy easy and can be done by anybody with hands. Do you have hands? Even just one? If so then you can tackle this job.
- Step 1: Determine if you have steering stop caps and that they arenít worn through.
- Step 2: If yours is bad, remove it. If itís missing then skip this step.
- Step 3: Buy new parts.
- Step 4: Install the stopper onto the bolt.
- Step 5: Go find the people who witnessed the horrible sound...
You can see these without jacking up the car or removing the wheel. The plastic cap sits on a bolt threaded into the steering knuckle.
Part number is above and should be $5 or under from your dealer. Go ahead and get a pair.
It simply pushes on. After pressing it on the bolt head turn the car on and crank the wheel each direction to firmly seat the cap in place.
and show them your car didnít actually break apart like the Titanic snapping in half.